Warren Mote

Visitation at Funeral Home

4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Thursday, July 5, 2018
Hamilton Mill Memorial Chapel
3481 Hamilton Mill Rd.
Buford, Georgia, United States

Funeral Service

10:00 am
Friday, July 6, 2018
Hamilton Mill Memorial Chapel
3481 Hamilton Mill Rd.
Buford, Georgia, United States

Final Resting Place

Hamilton Mill Memorial Gardens
3481 Hamilton Mill Road
Buford, Georgia, United States

Obituary of Warren Mote

Warren W. Mote, age 91 of Buford, GA died Saturday, June 30, 2018 after an extended illness. Funeral service will be held Friday, July 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM at Hamilton Mill Memorial Chapel. Rev. Wayne Johnson will officiate. Interment will follow at Hamilton Mill Memorial Gardens. The family will receive friends Thursday, July 5, 2018 from 4-6 PM at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers the family request contributions be made to your favorite charity in memory of Warren. Mr. Mote is survived by his wife, Betty Mote, Buford; son, Richard Mote and wife Linda K., Lexington, SC; daughter, Linda Elaine Mote, Buford; nephews John R. Mote and wife Anita, Marlin David Mote and wife Pam, Michael A. Thompson, William E. Barker and wife Batseba; niece, Marsha Thompson Davis all of TX. Hamilton Mill Memorial Chapel 770-945-6924 Share memories of Warren at hamiltonmillchapel.com


Warren Wood Mote was born on September 14, 1926; he joined our Father in Heaven early on the morning of June 30, 2018.  He claimed to be “the only Texan who was not born in Texas”.  He was born in Mountain Home, Arkansas while his father was teaching there for a year at the local college.

Most of you can remember him as he was twenty years ago – attending church regularly and occasionally giving the opening prayer in The Upper Room Class.

During his first seventy years, Warren participated in various churches in various activities and offices, beginning in 1934 at the age of eight.  He played the part of Joseph in the Christmas pageant at First Baptist Church in Waxahachie, Texas.  Warren joined the Royal Ambassadors and the Boy Scout Troops sponsored by First Baptist Church.  He would continue to participate in the Scouting program until he earned his Eagle Badge, and then again later in life as an Assistant Scout Master.

At Waxahachie Warren attended Ferris Ward Elementary School.  A plaque over the front door said Enter to Learn, Depart for Service.  It was at Ferris Ward that he met his best friend and later in life brother-in-law, Billy Ray Thompson.  Billy’s sister, Betty Jane, was younger by two years.

Warren’s family moved to Corpus Christi, Texas in 1942, when his father accepted the position of the City’s Assistant Controller.  He graduated from Corpus Christi Senior High School in January of 1944, a half year early.  He had joined Morgan Avenue Baptist Church and was active in their youth groups while he was in high school.  His parents had wanted to attend First Baptist Church in Corpus Christi, but Warren was drawn to Morgan Avenue and the family followed him there.

On February 9, 1944, Warren received a letter from the Morgan Avenue Church, commending him in his desire to become a preacher of the Gospel.  He attended Baylor University with the intent of becoming a medical missionary beginning in the Spring quarter of 1944.

In January of 1945, He was inducted into the US Army at Fort Hood, Texas.  After basic training and advanced training in Virginia, Warren was part of a group sent to the University of Pennsylvania to learn to be Japanese translators and to study the geography of Japan and its areas of occupation.  Fortunately, the unit did not have to finish the program.  He did learn to ride a motorcycle while in the service.

On August 12, 1946, He was discharged from the Army with the rank of Corporal, just 32 days short of his 20th birthday.  Warren returned to Baylor and eventually changed his major to Accounting.  His mother, Lillian, claimed that counting things was his hobby; as a child he would count the tiles in the ceiling of the church.  Warren later told Betty that the reason for changing his major, was the pre-med course in Qualitative Analysis.  He realized that he was more interested in Accounting than Medicine because of the contents of the course.

While at Baylor, Warren spent Summer of 1947 as a volunteer with the Baptist Encampment at Ridgecrest in North Carolina.  And his work at Ridgecrest did include relying upon his military training for riding a motorcycle.  He was later very happy to attend the 50th anniversary gathering of the volunteers from 1947 as he once again returned to Ridgecrest in 1997.

Warren graduated from Baylor on August 19, 1949 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting, in time to marry Betty Jane Thompson two weeks later in Waxahachie, Texas.  He then went to work for an insurance company in Dallas, where his brother-in-law, Billy, also worked.  They lived in Dallas for a time before moving to Corpus Christi, where he went to work in his father’s new CPA firm.  He later received his own CPA certification in 1952.

They made the move to Corpus Christi in their first car.  In all of Warren’s travels before their marriage, he had hitch-hiked.  This was in an era of greater trust and greater willingness to help out each other.  This was common among those who had experienced the Great Depression.

Their son, Richard Warren Mote, was born in July of 1952.  Their daughter, Linda Elaine Mote, was born in October of 1954.  By this time, they were members of Travis Baptist Church and then in 1959, they joined the new Parkdale Baptist Church, which was close enough that they sometimes walked there from their home.

With a move to Calallen, Texas in 1964, the family joined Calallen Baptist Church, where they remained as members until 1981.  Warren served as a Deacon and on various committees at Calallen.  This sometimes meant relying on his ability to use a lawn mower and handle a paint brush.  The Deacons of the Church volunteered to serve the food at the Young People’s Sweetheart Banquet in 1972, draped in white sheets to resemble Roman slaves.  A good time was had by all.

In 1981 Warren and Betty moved to Seguin, Texas as he changed jobs and there they built the first of their retirement homes.  He started working for Texas Lutheran College as the Assistant Controller, then as the Controller, before Warren retired from there in 1996.  While working at TLC, which is now Texas Lutheran University, he joined Betty as a volunteer driver for the American Cancer Society, in driving patients from Seguin to San Antonio for chemotherapy treatment.

Warren also participated in the Retired Seniors Volunteer Program, a local group sponsored by TLC.  He was also their Treasurer.

Their daughter, Elaine, had been transferred to the Atlanta area in 1986, and in 1998, Warren and Betty moved there to build their current retirement home next door to Elaine.  Richard and his wife, Linda Rutland, had already moved back from Alaska, and they lived in South Carolina near Linda’s father after the passing of her mother in 2001.


Share Your Memory of